Thursday, September 13, 2012

My thoughts on doing "nothing"...


Liesl K. Becker



A study I read on Wednesday claims that adults with disabilities “do nothing all day” (see reference at bottom of post to read article). I can attest to this. When I came home from the rehabilitation center in Dallas as a then 23 year-old, I really did do nothing. I was not involved any activity. I could very easily have become more involved in functions at my church, I could have actively pursued becoming a member of the alumna association in my sorority, I could have joined a disability support group. But nope: I did nothing of the sort. My lack of activity was a detriment to me in forming relationships with the people in my community, especially with those whom I already had a natural connection with: people of my same faith, people in my same social circle, people who already possessed a disability like I did.

Now, this article indeed discusses how people who lack any activity tend to be more emotional, have increased behavioral and health issues, and possess lower functioning abilities. However, it also mentions that it does not include everyone. Instead, it clearly states that in a survey of nine-hundred, it was just thirteen percent of cases reporting not being routinely involved in vocational or educational activities. Thirteen!

So, this is good news: this particular article does not place everyone with a disability into the same ‘box’! Just because I happened to go through a temporary ‘recluse’ phase, and despite thirteen percent of others having the same lack of motivation that I once had, this clearly does not warrant a generalization of all (or as this article title states: most) people with disabilities doing “nothing”.

Of course, the article clearly states that more work needs to be done to understand the effects of people with disabilities who do ‘nothing’. But perhaps a parent, caregiver, mentor, or even friend can combat this “doing nothing” problem by providing good opportunities that will prevent an individual with a disability from doing just that: nothing. What activities, programs or services can you think of that one might find enjoyable?



(Article referenced: Diament, Michelle (February 15, 2012). “Study: Many Adults With Disabilities Do Nothing All Day”. http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2012/02/15/study-adults-do-nothing/14994/)



No comments:

Post a Comment