Monday, September 10, 2012

Autism Thought from This Weekend


by Liesl K. Becker


What can I say: I classify myself as a "boring" 26 year-old who derives her excitement from engaging in somewhat boring activities… such as watching the Fox News Channel (However, as this is what my father enjoys in the evenings, then perhaps I still am a “daddy’s little girl”). Anyway, this is typically how I unwind in the evenings; unfortunately, this may seem peculiar to some because who uses news as a method to ‘unwind’?


Despite this, as I was re-watching an earlier broadcast of “Fox News Sunday” last night, a commercial came on television. Typically, I tend to tune commercials out, but then I heard the words, “1 in 88 children are born with Autism”. Gosh, that sure brought me back down from the clouds! I immediately grabbed a pen and a pad of paper from the other room and wrote down those words.


Now, what commercial was this? I honestly cannot recall, since as I previously stated, I tend to tune commercials out. However, this number really grabbed my attention. But why? Curiosity… perhaps. Astonishment… maybe. Or is it because being completely altruistic is becoming a way of life for me? I cannot be positive of my intentions. I just know that this small fact impacted me in some way.


While I know that ‘1 in 88” may seem like a small number to some, I am sure it matters to that person who just had a child born with Autism.

No comments:

Post a Comment